Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Semester Summary


Urbanization, one of my favorite chapters this semester, especially our focus on current urbanization. (Picture of downtown Tokyo.)


One of the first things we covered this semester was the elections in Afghanistan.



This semester I have learned so much! From August to December, we have covered many important subjects such as Afghanistan, the spread of disease and its effect on the formation of civilization, among other factors such as the use of technology and agricultural resources. We also discussed urbanization (my favorite chapter we covered because we got to discuss different cities of the word), and we did a section on nationalism. I now have a better perspective on how the civilizations of the world came to be in the position that they are, due to the factor of geography. I really liked that we did not follow a traditional history course, and instead, went more into the subjects we learned about rather than just memorizing a bunch of facts that we probably won't remember later on. I think the thing that frustrated me most was when we had to write too many letters so close to each other during some parts of the year, and of course the occasional note taking that we had to do. I really preferred the study guides that we received, and I think that they helped me to learn much easier than taking notes. I also really liked when we incorporated movies into our course of study because it helps us to see what life was really like back then instead of just reading about it. I think one of my favorite things about this semester is that we included current events in our study, and I would really love to see more of that in the second semester.





Picture sources:

http://www.sonyinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/shinjuku_at_night_tokyo_japan.jpg
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-3/afghanistan-election.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Lol.
    I've noticed that you tried to fit a picture of Japan whenever possible.
    Good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, the blog looks great! Thank you for sharing your insights about what worked and didn't work for you. We will definitely be using a similar format next semester. I'll try to think of assignments that allow you to incorporate images of Japan. :) Thanks for the effort you've put forth here -- very successful.

    ReplyDelete